Thursday, May 10, 2012

You Have Made Your People See Hard Things...

I would be the first to confess that I have a sensitive mind & somewhat of a photographic memory.  I would glance at the tv guide once & have the programs memorized for the week.  Even today I got a text asking for the code for the church voicemail & could still remember it from seeing it on the sticker on my desk.  Many times this was a great way to be wired (for school especially!) but it also has had its drawbacks.  I couldn't watch movies that other people did because the images (especially violent ones) would stay in my head so long afterwards.  I would be intentional about guarding my mind just so that those images wouldn't be continually in my brain.  
But I haven't been able to guard my mind as well in Swaziland, and there are many images that still come to mind, even though they happened years ago and as I continue to hear stories & get to know people, the images continue to stay on my mind & I won't soon forget - 
- seeing a ministry partner standing in the rain in the beam of my headlights, holding a child he found hiding under a bush from the rain
- seeing a one year old boy minutes after his mother died, leaving him an orphan
- seeing a woman grieve & prepare to bury her 27 year old daughter
His face will always stay in my mind as the first boy I saw orphaned
as his mother passed away at 27 years old, just after his first birthday
- seeing a 26 year old handicapped man live every day in the dirt in the shade behind his house
- seeing a 3 year old throw rocks at fully grown cows to keep them away from her as she walked home
- seeing a 9 year old caring for a 4 month old
- seeing a 2 year old walk to & from the carepoint on her own
- seeing a single mother sitting in her tiny mud hut telling me about how she stands & holds the baby in the one dry spot when it rains so that she doesn't get dripped on
- seeing people save any scrap of food & put it in a plastic bag in their purse to take home to share with family members
- seeing a grandmother in tears as she tells how she had to send her grandchildren into less than desirable homes to live because she couldn't afford to feed them & care for them
- seeing people pass a bowl of water around to drink out of
- seeing wounds on a child's feet from where mice nibbled at them while he slept

Not all of life is that difficult, but there are definitely moments in Swaziland where I swallow back the tears welling up in my eyes & almost wish I didn't have to see what I see or hear what I hear.  But I was struck today by what David wrote in Psalm 60:3:
"You have made your people see hard things" 
 David was writing this in the midst of a battle where Joab struck down 12,000 men.  I can't imagine the sight of all of that death in that valley, but it is in seeing the hardest parts of life & death that I am reminded that God's grace goes deeper than the depth of human need & suffering.  Sometimes we just see hard things in life, and it's ok not to gloss over them & try to run ahead to something more joyful.  And just as water soaks into the cracks, God's grace pours down deep into the cracks of humanity & He is sovereign over it all.  Every part of creation groans for the final day of restoration....and sometimes it's just hard to see the pain & suffering caused by sin in a world that isn't there yet. 

2 comments:

  1. SO beautifully written Erica, thank you. And thank you SO SO much for posting his picture, I can't believe how big he is! My little baby is a big boy now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job on your blog, Erica! Thanks for continuing to write and to share what God's doing in your life! We are praying for you! In Christ, Dan H.

    ReplyDelete