Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Pictures I Didn't Take...

One of my traditions I have started doing on the plane ride home from anywhere is making a list of "Pictures I Didn't Take" on each trip. Most of the times, these are moments when it would just be impersonal and awkward to pull out a camera to take a picture during these special times; others I simply didn't have my camera with me...but for most of them, a camera wouldn't begin to capture the moment! Here are just a few from this trip:
  • getting out of the van our last morning at the care point to have a little boy that I had been building relationship with all week walk over to me to pick him up
  • knocking that same little boy over later that same day...I was standing at our van talking to our driver, and didn't realize this little boy had walked around the van to follow me, and was about to grab onto my leg, but I didn't see him and turned to walk away from the van and walked right into him.
  • seeing the red sun set every afternoon over the hills as we drove on the bumpy, dusty, dirt road back to our hotel
  • having random strangers and children wave to us as we drove past
  • talking to myself, to remind myself I was driving in Africa on the left side of the road, as I drove one of the missionary's car to run an errand
  • watching the women of the church give gifts to the pastor & his wife (for pastor appreciation Sunday) and pray for a long time over he & his wife
  • seeing elementary aged kids caring for their younger brothers & sisters as if they were their parents
  • watching a high school girl's eyes light up over the dress she was given
  • having the kids allow us as complete strangers wash their faces and give them new & clean clothes to wear
  • watching my teammates gently & tenderly wash children's feet
  • hearing about the children laying hands on one of the missionaries to pray for her headache to go away
  • talking with a hotel employee as I sat outside drinking coffee & reading my Bible one morning
  • going on a home-visit where all of the logs holding up the corners of the house were completely missing the bottom 2 feet of the log, and wondering to myself how the house was staying up
  • seeing random flowers & signs of life in fields that looked full of dead grass & weeds
  • seeing kids play soccer barefoot, stopping every so often to pull a 2 inch long thorn out of their foot

1 comment:

  1. Great list! I have to say many of the images in my mind that have made the most impact don't have pictures to go along with them. I think I'm going to have to sit down and write them out as well.

    ReplyDelete