Friday, October 8, 2010

What's In A Name?

One of my favorite things about the Siswati language is the depth of meaning in their words. Each person knows the meaning of their name, and often there are words that are so unique and specific in meaning that they carry a special significance. In church, our pastor used “basatwani”(I have no idea how to spell it, but this is what it sounds like) at the end of almost every sentence...and it is a word specifically for the people of God/family of God. It is more that just saying my brothers and sisters in Christ, but implies a deeper community and a sanctified people, set apart for the Lord. Last year when I was in Swaziland, we met a young woman who was unexpectedly pregnant and gave birth while we were still in the country. As I visited with her when her baby was a couple of weeks old, I asked her what her new daughter’s name meant...and wasn’t surprised when she said “God knew her in the womb”.
It is amazing to me how someone’s name isn’t merely their present identity, but is many tim
es prophetic over their lives...the teacher who works endlessly to cook for the kids, teach the kids, make Timbali purses, as well as care for her own family is named Gcobile...meaning “one who does good works.” So I was excited and convicted as I met my special friend, a little 3 year old boy who my nephew and I will support, write to, and pray for over the next 15 years...and found out his name is Kuhlakani, which means “he prays.”
Praise God that He knows how He will wire us, gift us, burden us, and use us for His glory...and how He can move the hearts of parents to name their children in a way that declares this!

“Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.” Psalm 139:16

No comments:

Post a Comment