Friday, November 5, 2010

Asking Expectantly

What have you been praying for lately? In your prayer life, do you pray hesitantly or expectantly? I confess that often I pray timidly, not totally praying in faith for God to answer my prayers and meet my needs. You would think that after all of the examples of His faithfulness in my life, I would pray expectantly, knowing that He would sovereignly answer the prayers of my heart. Yet He used a 3 year old girl to remind me that too often I pray hesitantly and not expectantly.
While in Juarez, I bonded with a tiny 3 year old girl, who fell asleep in my arms
within hours of me meeting her. Over then next 48 hours, we shared many songs, car rides, naps, and smiles...even though I could only speak a little of her language, and she could speak none of mine. She captured my heart as she sang, danced, and wouldn't let me put her down before we left. While her face will remain in my mind, the way God used her to teach me about prayer will remain in my heart!
A little while before we left, I was talking with some of the older girls, and this little 3 year old walked up to me, tapped my leg, handed me her two ponytail rubberbands, and turned around. Without a word of communication, or even really thinking, I squatted down to put her pigtails back in her hair. I didn't ask her what happened or wait for her to tell me what she needed, I just acted out of seeing her need, and her boldness of knowing she could ask me to do this for her and I would respond.
And I realized that just as she approached me, knowing I would help her, that is how I am to approach God with my needs and requests in prayer. Jesus taught us that through Him, we can bring all of our requests, prayers & needs to God...knowing that it is natural for Him to answer them because of who He is (Matthew 7:7-11).
So as we go through our day, let us come humbly,continually, and expectantly before the sovereign God of the universe with our needs.
"Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." (Hebrews 4:16)
"...do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." (Philippians 4:6)

1 comment:

  1. In our American culture where we value hard-work, independence, and taking care of "me and mine" trusting someone else is a difficult concept. I too often half-heartedly ask God for things but have already decided in my mind that He isn't going to give them to me. Thanks for this post to help me get some perspective. Keep up the great work on your posts! Love it!

    ReplyDelete