Tuesday, November 13, 2012

So Much To Say...So Little Time

The list on my phone of things to blog about keeps growing, while the number of blogs I actually write doesn't change.  I thought that life & ministry in Nsoko would slow down in September after the busy season of teams was past, but that's not the case.  I feel like now that teams are coming less frequently, ministry with & among & to the Swazis has really begun.  Balancing the administration work of the ministry, as well as the relationships in this area is very time consuming!  There are always more people I want to visit, more prayers to pray, more kids to hold, more carepoints to visit & more things to learn.  I could spend a lifetime at each of our ten carepoints & the communities surrounding them.  But each day I am taking things one step at a time, trying to keep up on processing all that is going on in my heart through each day, and occasionally making a note of what God is calling me to share with a broader audience through this blog. 
I have great intentions of blogging to catch up, but just in case I don't - here are the things that are on my heart to share.  And if I do end up blogging about them all....consider this a preview!



~ My one job no matter where I am is to abide in Christ & love people - I strive to do this here in Swaziland just as I tried to do it in Colorado.  The environment may look different, but the goal is the same.

~ How do we describe & explain God's extravagant, abundant, unending love in a culture so steeped in poverty & scarcity with that as the perspective that shapes their worldview?

~ Bittersweet juxtaposition - the flowers on the thorn trees, the flowers on the cactus...all around me are pictures of the harsh reality of total depravity, yet also the beauty of the redemption & restoration process that began at the cross & will be fulfilled someday when Christ comes back.

~ Gancane, gancane (bit by bit, small small)...there's a children's song that says "Inch by inch & row by row, we're gonna make this garden grow.  All we need is a rake & hoe."  As we tediously work to begin the garden at the Anchor Center for people from homesteads to have a place to grow vegetables, I am reminded daily of the spiritual parallels - and overwhelmed by how much work it takes to keep the weeds down!  

~How do incarnational ministry & development mix?  We read "don't do for them what they can do themselves" but when comes the time to live incarnationally & join them in the work?  How do we balance this?
 
~ In a culture where many people are illiterate and many people are super-spiritual, what does it look like to love the Bible & think theologically?

~ Swazi's national deficit:  The reality of fatherless nation...

~ What song is in your heart?  As Swazis are always dancing & singing, it makes me wonder what song would be bursting out of my mouth & heart each day?


2 comments:

  1. Erica, as usual, I'm blessed and challenged by your blog post and SO thankful that Michaela is able to spend time and be mentored by one who loves Him and sits at His feet so consistently. Thanks for "abiding in Christ and loving people." You are truly His hands and feet to so many in Swaziland...including my daughter as she serves beside you. Praying God's continued strength for you day by day as you sit at His feet and serve His people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Bless you Erica again and again for your service!! You truly are the hands and feet if Christ!

    ReplyDelete