Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Word of God is Living and Active - Part 2

"I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."
~Galatians 2:20
Spending time with the Lord at the base of Temple Peak in the Wind Rivers.

I was speaking at a youth group the other night & was asked to speak on what surrender looks like in my life these days. I have heard all kinds of comments as I tell people I am moving to Swaziland, many of which are focusing on what a big decision it is. As I prepared for it, I realized that in all reality, the decision to move to Africa isn't nearly as big as a decision I made 13 years ago when I made the decision to follow Christ & surrender my life (past, present & future) to Him. Corrie Ten Boom once said, "Never be afraid to surrender an unknown future to a known God." As I grew to know who I was surrendering to, it made surrendering a whole lot easier (but still a struggle for one who likes to be in control!) So more than a huge decision to move to Swaziland, this season is more about the next step in a life of surrendering one step & day at a time.
It was during that early season of my life with Christ that God spoke to me through Galatians 2:20...beginning to teach me that the life I live here on earth is not my own, but Christ is living in me. The life (and plans of being a college basketball player, then pediatrician & NFL wife) that I had planned for myself was crucified. But Christ is living in me! I still don't totally get this - that Christ, who is holding all things together as I write this (Colossians 1:15-17), lives in me.
As this new reality began to grow in my life, I began to understand God's sovereignty in a whole new way, and started taking steps towards surrendering my daily life (my struggles, hopes, dreams, plans, relationships, failures, identity, gifts, skills, possessions) to God and watching His will come to pass in each of those areas.
Every morning, as I thank God for another day of life and for His new mercies...I remind myself that the old Erica was crucified with Christ...and that Christ now lives in me, leading me through this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment