Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Avoiding Spiritual Amnesia

"Only take care, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things that your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life."
~Deuteronomy 4:9

I am humbled and amazed at how God has moved throughout my whole life, revealing Himself, continuing to give me another chance, continuing to transform me, working out His redemption that was completed 2000 years ago into every facet of my life & who I am here today....and yet I am constantly forgetting these things. How can I be so amazed in the moment, in awe of God's sovereignty & power, yet forget these things so quickly?
I think I join in the crowds of believers throughout history in self-diagnosing myself with spiritual amnesia - forgetting who God is, who I am in Him, what He has done, what He is doing, what He has promised. I hate that this happens, but in a weird way, I take comfort in the fact that I join with good company (the Bible says "remember" more than 200 times in the Old Testament) of people who had a tendency to forget who God is & what He's done. I am excited that for eternity, we won't forget anymore, but will have so much time to reflect on who God is, the ways He revealed Himself to us, the ways God worked in our lives...and we will spend eternity responding in worship to this! We will remember those little, detailed ways He provided for us, spoke to us, led us, and those huge, unbelievable ways that He redeemed us, restored us, and gave us His righteousness as we gave Him our sins.
But for this season, I want to obey this verse - keeping my soul diligently to remember God's specific works in this transition of my life. And as I remember (& record in my journal to help me remember & reflect on this over the rest of my life) His work in my life today, it continues to fuel my faith that His mercies will be new again tomorrow & His grace will be sufficient for each & every day of my life as He is faithful, unchanging, sovereign and provident over all of creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment