Friday, March 9, 2012

The Word of God is Living and Active - Part 6

People often ask me how I can go to places with so much need and not be totally overwhelmed to the point of immobilization when I go to serve in those areas. The truth is, at times it is overwhelming, and many times I wonder if I can do anything to make a dent in the poverty or help anyone. But in 2008, as I was flying over the Pacific Ocean to serve on a mission trip high up in the Himalayas of Nepal, God laid a foundation that has forever changed my approach to ministry, and has narrowed my focus in places where the need overwhelms me.
On the trail in Nepal, with Ama Dablam in the background.

During our 14 hour flight from LA to Bangkok, I had brought along several podcasts to listen to, one of which was by a college campus pastor speaking on Psalm 123. In this message, he read aloud Psalm 123:1-2
"To you I lift up my eyes, O you who are enthroned in the heavens! Behold, as the eyes of servants look to the hand of their master, as the eyes of a maidservant to the hand of her mistress, so our eyes look to the Lord our God, till he has mercy upon us."

He spoke about these verses, drawing us to focus on what it means to be a servant. Thinking about a servant or maidservant, their focus is constantly on the one whom they are serving, not the surplus of needs around them. Their eyes are only to the one they are serving, anticipating the needs, planning on how they will serve next, not worrying about anything else that needs to be done around them. If they turn their eyes to accomplish something else that needs to be done, they may not be serving their master as they should. This pastor reminded me that my eyes are to be on the Lord alone, and as I do that, He will direct my steps to how I am supposed to serve today, in this moment, in this place. And as each of us are focused on Him, our efforts to serve Him and His people will be orchestrated in a way to get more done for His glory & His name.
With some of the students in the Hillary School in Khumjung, Nepal.

But this is hard to put into practice when there are overwhelming needs surrounding you & people bombarding you with the issues going on in life. Often it is easier to be reactive & seek to provide an immediate solution, rather than stepping back or slowing down to take the time to keep our focus on the Lord and let Him lead us. But my number one job in ministry, no matter where I am serving, is to keep my eyes focused on the Lord and as I do that, He directs my feet to where I am to go, my hands to how I am to serve, and my heart as to who I am to be burdened for.

No comments:

Post a Comment