Thursday, March 29, 2012

Then & Now

As I continue to prepare to move over to Swaziland and get excited to see familiar faces again & how much some of them have grown, I can't help but reflect on how much they have grown & changed from when I first met them in 2009. Here are a few pictures from 2009 & this fall...
This little girl cried until she slept in my arms the whole first morning I met her at a carepoint in 2009 & was so easy to recognize this year at the Christmas party. Her older sisters are identical twins & it wasn't uncommon for all 3 of them to be home alone from 6am until 5pm each day because their parents were lucky enough to have jobs.

The famous Tembelihle...as a 4 month old, she would be dropped off (or carried by an 8 year old) at our team house each day while her mother worked in the fields. Now a growing almost 3 year old beautiful girl, she has so many teeth, is pretty much potty-trained, is looked after by her 5 year old sister, has a contagious laugh and has been loved on through the few years of her life by so many teams who have come through.

The dress. The sweatshirt. Both looked old, dirty, ratty & torn in 2009 when I first saw Sphae wearing them...but then I had to grab my camera when Tembelihle (her younger sister) was wearing them 2 years later. Amazingly, the dress looks better from a good washing, but the red sweatshirt is as torn as ever. Makes you think twice about hand-me-downs!

No comments:

Post a Comment